Planning for 40

branadmin2

Re: Planning for 40

Post by branadmin2 »

For those of you that can not make it ,we are planning to have it live on Facebook starting at 6. Keep watching for any updates. You could also go to our Facebook page.

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

That will work out great! I will get to come early so I can check out all the fancy trainers. Since it looks like we have another 5-6 month winter.

thotle

Post by thotle »

I'm interested in joining BRAN 40, when do I need to register to insure I'll be one of the 600?

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

Registration will be open soon. A reveal party will be held on November 13th at Bike Rack Omaha starting at 5 PM. Hope to have registration open at that time. While we would like to think that we could someday reach 600 riders again ,you have plenty of time to register. I will announce when registration is open on the Forum. It will also be on Facebook and spread all over the BRAN website. The route is complete for 40 and promises to be a lot of fun. Hope you can make it and the party.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

Wow just two days from the Announcement Party. Results will be posted here.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

Merry Christmas all. I have started the long road back. Up to 40 minutes on the spinner bike. Arm is taking it well and actually seems to help it. Will definitely ride 40 , the amount is still to be determined.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Good to hear! Doesn't 40 minutes on a trainer seem like a life time? If you want time to slow down just get on your trainer. :)

thotle

Post by thotle »

Regarding time on a trainer, yes, 40 mins seems like a long time. I'd rather ride my fat tire bike outside in 10 degree weather here in Wisconsin than ride on the trainer. But, I'll admit I haven't taken the plunge to Zwift or the like, so maybe that's the trick.

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

I got a smart trainer and subscribed to Rouvy a couple weeks ago. Actual video, not augmented. Pedaled around Hawaii yesterday. It keeps my interest up. I'm a little cool towards cycling outside. Back doesn't seem to like it. So it's spin class and Rouvy for now.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

I taught 4 spinner classes a week for 13 years. An hour of hard work with multiple tension and rpms. That with great outdoor rides made BRAN easypeasy. We each have a spinner bike in the basement and use Netflix, Prime, and Hulu to try to make it tolerable. Still a grind but better than nothing, well maybe a little.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Yes Frank after that kind of training I'm sure riding BRAN was a breeze. I only have music to distract me but it works, and I also try to get outside and ride as much as possible. 15 degrees is my cut off for my fat bike though. You're one tough cyclist if you can tolerate riding outside in those kind of temperatures thotle! Your mention Bill of watching a ride across Hawaii while training brought back some great memories of some excellent winter training. :wink: In 1985 I was living in Anchorage, Alaska and the Winter seemed endless. Southwest Airlines offered a special low rate for a round trip ticket to Honolulu and I couldn't resist, I also purchased another flight to the Island of Maui. I boxed up my bike a 1975 Schwinn Le Tour 10 speed and spent a full month bikepacking all over Maui. Maui is unique in that it is one of the few places that you can ride from sea level to over 10,000 foot of elevation to the top of the dormant volcano, Haleakala in less than 38 miles. It took me most of the day to get to the top. The lowest gear I had was 42x28. :( I never walked but rode out of the saddle most of the time on that climb. Makes you really believe in the wonders of youth! :) The Park Service let me store my bike at their facility while I spent a few days hiking and exploring the volcanic crater. The trip down the mountain took me less than a hour. :D I still have that old Schwinn and still ride it occasionally. I highly recommend Hawaii as a good place to maintain your fitness this winter. :wink:
Last edited by Missouri John on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

You have certainly had great riding adventures including last year. My only riding outside the US was in Germany visiting my daughter in 92. Rode with my son in law in and out of Austria. At one crossing we waved our passports as usual and my son in law said did you know what you just did. Sure I said, well you just waved your snack bag he said.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Ha, :lol: obviously the border official wasn't too concerned. I've never been cycling in another country other than Canada and a little in Mexico. There is so much here to see and experience while cycling that I'll only be able to cover a small fraction of it anyway. I feel very fortunate to have been able to do all the riding I've done so far. :) With my planned participation in BRAN 40 the adventures will just keep continuing on. :)

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Wow! What a gift this Christmas weather has been. I got in a very comfortable 35 mile ride just wearing a jersey and shorts. After a snowy cold Halloween who would have predicted this? :roll:

DougMartin

Post by DougMartin »

Just finished a 40 mile loop to Cave Creek from Scottsdale today. It is a little cool here in the upper 50’s but very little wind. Had to do an overhaul of my bike when I first got here last week. I think I still need to shorten the chain more as it seems too loose when I shift to the small ring. I always have a professional do a tuneup on the bike I ride in BRAN, but the riding I do here in Arizona is shorter so I do my own. Looking forward to the June BRAN as I really like the route through Hyannis. The Sand Hills should be particularly beautiful this spring after this winter moisture.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher