Planning for 40

Re: Planning for 40

Postby Missouri John » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Hmm, I rode the XXXV111 RAGBRAI and I did see a few walking up that hill but it was a hot day and I think that fact may of had more to do with it than the steepness of the hill. You will see some walking on almost any long steep hill on RAGBRAI and there is no shame in that. Sometimes I'm barely making faster progress riding than those walking and they're using much less energy. All the hype about long steep hills can convince ones mind to create that prophecy.
Missouri John

Postby gif4445 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Thotle, maybe you can shed some light on the subject. I have ridden most of the RAGBRAI's since 2013. Always just the first 3 days. Would there be a chance I would have ridden Potter's? I do remember a hill that many or most people were walking bikes up, as it was a pretty taxing climb. If I remember right, since my first RAGBRAI in 2013, I think I have only missed 2015(maybe) and 2019 (definitely).
gif4445

Postby thotle » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 am

gif4445, I don't believe RAGBRAI has been back to Potter's hill since RAGBRAI 38, which was in 2010. I've ridden every mile since RAGBRAI 42 (2014) and haven't been on Potter's hill. So, if you've been riding since 2013 I don't think you've done it during the normal course of RAGBRAI. I'll have to check to confirm 2013. Potter hill would also almost certainly be on one of the last two days, given it's in the eastern part of the state.

We've ridden some good hills in my 6 RAGBRAIs, I remember the last day in '14 where there were 3 hills with 300+ ft of climb each, all within a 10 mile stretch, but I'd say in the 6-10% grade max, so not as steep as Potter's. Actually I remember being surprised that day how few people were walking up those hills vs riding, but certainly a lot of people on the smallest of 3 chain rings going 5 mph.

Actually, I was thinking of making a drive to Potter's hill this spring to ride it a few times for "training". Gotta be ready for Democrat hill! I know there's no shame in walking, but I take it as a personal challenge to be able to ride 'em.
thotle

Postby madsen89 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi all-
I'm considering signing up for BRAN 40 but have some questions about getting there. I live in Chicago and my first idea of a great way to get there is to take the train to Omaha and ride to the bus pickup. My questions are:
    1. Since boxes are required for bike transport and I can't reasonably carry one with me, any suggestions on how to resolve the transport problem?
    2. The train gets in late at night so the ride to Wahoo would have to be the next day. My train schedule would depend on the bus departure time. If the bus is in the morning, I'd probably have to arrive in Wahoo on the 5th. Any suggestions for sleeping arrangements in Wahoo if that becomes necessary? Actually for after the ride as well.

Thanks,
Mark
madsen89

Postby branadmin2 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

I am sure you will get better information as time goes on. Many people ship their bike to the start town. I did that once when visiting my daughter in California. Arrangements will be made to camp Friday night at the fair Grounds in Wahoo. You could probably stay there on the Saturday return . There will be showers available that comes with your entry fee. You could also ship your bike back. . Do trains allow you to bring a boxed bike? There will be other riders with suggestions. Hope you can we work things out. This ride promises great sites and will allow you to get the to the heart of Nebraska. The riders and people in the towns are an extra bonus .
branadmin2

Postby madsen89 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm

branadmin2 wrote:I am sure you will get better information as time goes on. Many people ship their bike to the start town. I did that once when visiting my daughter in California. Arrangements will be made to camp Friday night at the fair Grounds in Wahoo. You could probably stay there on the Saturday return . There will be showers available that comes with your entry fee. You could also ship your bike back. . Do trains allow you to bring a boxed bike? There will be other riders with suggestions. Hope you can we work things out. This ride promises great sites and will allow you to get the to the heart of Nebraska. The riders and people in the towns are an extra bonus .

Thanks, it's good to know that sleeping in Wahoo will be worked out. This ride does seem very interesting due to the scenery and the people. I'd love to do it!

Yes, trains do allow boxed bikes, but it's not necessary on this train since I can just hand the back fully assembled up into the baggage car. Shipping the bike doesn't get me to Wahoo, nor does boxing it on the train. I'd be stuck in Omaha with a box and a bike. A car is not an option for me. Besides, I want to use the train and ride the 45 miles or so to Wahoo if possible.

I understand, from the FAQ, that there is a message board where riders can discuss plans. Is this forum that "message board" or is it something else?

Thanks
Mark
madsen89

Postby gif4445 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks Thotl, I guess Potter's is a hill to look forward to some day. I must not have been thinking when I read your posted link earlier. Probably distracted reading during the first couple paragraphs, as it clearly states it was on the last leg of RAGBRAI. As to Democrat hill, it depends upon your perspective (and wind direction of course). I first rode it during my 3rd year of doing BRAN I believe. When I was heavier and just beginning to get the cycling "bug", it was a definite challenge. The last time I rode it, I just drove to Callaway (60 miles away) and rode it along the way doing a 120 mile loop that included Broken Bow, Merna, The famous Anselmo Road downhill, Anselmo, Dunning, Arnold and back to Callaway. Much easier this last time. If I remember right, the steepest grade along the way was maybe 7-8%, but I could be wrong. Mostly it is a longer climb than is normal, with a few winding turns that may give you the impression you are done, but around the next curve, there is more climb. And beautiful Sandhill type scenery and overlook at the top.
gif4445

Postby Missouri John » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 am

Hi madsen 89, I've rode several state rides and BRAN is by far my favorite and I believe you will really enjoy it too. The requirement of boxing your bike has been an issue for me as well. I don't live near a bike shop and in the past would spend evenings visiting the backs of furniture and appliance stores searching for a suitable box and when I would find one I'd have to modify it to fit my bike. On my first BRAN I built my box out of chip board. Frank, you probably remember seeing me taking my box apart at Broken Bow. On one of my first RAGBRAI's, I had a charter haul my bike across Iowa and they didn't want you to box your bike. They had a big pile of recycled cardboard sheets that they placed between the bikes in the back of the truck. So simple, and to my Knowledge no bikes were damaged. If you are planing on taking the train, would it be possible to include transportation to Wahoo with your ticket? A few years ago I took Amtrak To Astoria, Oregon. The train only went as far as Portland but included with my ticket was a bus ride for me and my bike the rest of the way to Astoria. Hope to see you on BRAN 40. :)
Missouri John

Postby branadmin2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Nothing good can happen when a bike is put in a box. Remember I am a professional wrench. We have been working on a way to not require boxing a bike . When we reach something it will be posted.
branadmin2

Postby gif4445 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 pm

I just saw an ad for BRAN 40 in my latest copy of the Adventure Cyclist. I'd better sign up before it is sold out!
gif4445

Postby branadmin2 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:42 pm

We are down to our last 400. So hurry.
branadmin2

Postby Missouri John » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:54 am

Sent in my registration a couple of weeks ago, sure would hate to miss out. :wink:
Missouri John

Postby branadmin2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:14 am

I will make sure you get in friend. A dinner on you would be nice.
branadmin2

Postby Missouri John » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks! I really do appreciate that. Dinner, hmm, how about I just let you cut in line ahead of me while were waiting for one of those delicious BRAN potluck meals?
Missouri John

Postby branadmin2 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Everyone knows I always go first, but you can carry my drink. My family has said I could not tent anymore. They are providing Granny and I with half of a Phat room. They also do not allow me to cut the grass. Again they pay for it. While it was still snowing did sneak out and snow throw. Hell I am only 83. I draw the line at an Ebike.
branadmin2

PreviousNext

Return to Bran 40