BRAN 40 or 41?

Prairiedogranch

BRAN 40 or 41?

Post by Prairiedogranch »

Will the 2021 BRAN be 40 (second try) or BRAN 41? Will it be the same route? When will registration open?
The pandemic has kept us fairly well isolated with time to ride. Cycling, especially if you plan your routes carefully, is very well suited to social distancing. My fingers are crossed that by next summer we will have a vaccine and will finally emerge from our cocoons, stretch our wings, and be able to be around people again. At any rate, planning for future adventures is keeping me sane.

Missouri John

Re: BRAN 40 or 41?

Post by Missouri John »

As I understand it, since BRAN 40 did not happen, next year will be BRAN 40 and the same route will be used. Cycling was certainly different this summer but I did get to visit many back roads around my area that I wouldn't have if all my state rides hadn't been cancelled.

thotle

Post by thotle »

When do we expect registration to open for Bran 40 (2021)? I'm hopeful that I'll get to experience my first BRAN next summer. In spite of all the cancellations, I did manage to get 5000 miles in 2020, but I'm sure hoping the miles can include several state rides next year. Missouri John, do you have a preferred Missouri state ride? I did get to do the "Missouri Double Cross" (Katy Trail) with Pork Belly Ventures in July, since it was only about 50 riders. BRAN looks to be a good one, and it seems like the numbers may be small enough (a few hundred?) to give it a better chance than larger rides next year.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Wow! 5000 miles thotle, that's awesome. I have rode the Missouri Big BAM ride 3 times and have always enjoyed it, but being in Missouri it will always have many steep climbs unlike the terrain on the Katy. 10 years ago while training for the Tour Divide I did my own version of the Katy Trail Double Cross, but since I only had 3 days off from work I had to ride in the dark a bit, but I was still able to pull it off.

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

That would be a cool, challenging ride John. 480 miles? Or did you start from home?

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Bill, I just got up early and drove my truck to the trail parking lot just north of the river near Boonville, unloaded my bike and headed east just as it was getting light. I made it to St. Charles as the sun was setting and headed back west. I rode a few more miles and then bivied, got an early start the next morning and continued on. I had not set my tires up tubeless yet and caught a thorn and had to fix a flat on that section. I new it was going to be tight even without fixing a flat, and felt relieved to make it back to my truck just after dark. I bivied in the bed of my truck, and got another early start and headed toward Clinton. It was well after mid day when I made the turn at Clinton and headed back so it got dark on me before I arrived back at Boonville but I had my bike loaded and was heading home by 10:00. This was in April and I really lucked out weather wise. A little chilly at night but sunny and dry with perfect riding temps during the day. I rode my mountain bike and have often wondered if it could have been ridden faster on a gravel bike?

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

After looking at my training log for that year, I need to make some corrections. I did do a training ride in April on the Katy that year but it was only a weekend ride of 274 miles. I did not do my Katy double cross until early May and the weather was hot and windy, especially on the last day when the temperature climbed to above 90 degrees. Since I turned around at St.Charles instead of Machens, and my total mileage was only 458, so it really can't be considered a true Katy double cross. The section of the Katy near St.Charles and beyond is quite populated and I didn't feel comfortable camping there. I'm certainly glade I keep training logs. They're a lot of fun to look back on, and they keep me honest. :)

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

Journaling is a smart thing to do. The closest I've come to that, is in my cold weather riding. Looking to see what works in the various temperature ranges. It's helped greatly, as I take the emotion or how I'm presently feeling out of the equation when suiting up. Of course, I've journaled several rides on crazy guy on a bike. Much more involved, but priceless now as I look back on them.

Maybe I've asked you before, but how was your experience on the Tour Divide?

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Bill, I really enjoyed your story about your Trans Am adventure on the Crazy Guy on a Bike site, and I plan on re reading it this winter. The Tour Divide is a great adventure! :!: It is quite remote, and I really don't know of any other way you could visit and view all those remote sites in such a short time. I have so many memories of that race that if I tried to describe my experiences, it would turn into a book. I'll certainly try to answer any questions you might have about it though. I'm sure you feel the same as I do, but I am so ready to start accumulating more adventure memories. I'm very hopeful BRAN40 in 2021 will happen as planned. :)

DougMartin

Post by DougMartin »

Glad to hear you are doing well Missouri John. I am staying healthy here in Lincoln although I had another pulmonary embolism last month. I was afraid it was Covid 19 as I was having trouble breathing and actually glad it was another PE. Doctors still don’t know where the clots originate but tell me I am lucky for the lung capacity as others with the same obstruction don’t make it to the hospital. I have ridden almost 3000 miles here in Lincoln since returning in January. I ride almost every day since I am not teaching with the pandemic. I hope to be able to join you for the next BRAN but we may be heading back to Phoenix then for good. Stay healthy everyone.
Doug Martin
Retired Teacher

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

John, when I toured the Katy, I started at Clinton and rode to the end of the line. Then I headed back, but left the trail at Boonville. So I've never done a complete down and back. And touring, I believe even then it took me 5 1/2 days. To do it in 2 days would be awesome. I've done that mileage in two days on a 1000k brevet, but it was on pavement. Climbing in the Sandhills, so maybe that somewhat balanced out. Probably not. Now I add that to the bucket list, even though I don't really have one! I've also thought about a one day there-and-back on the Mickelson. Challenging also.

I'm with you. I'm hoping we are able to get BRAN in next year. I've used many rides as a goal to keep and build fitness. Makes it a little more challenging, at least for me, when we can't have them.

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

John, I'm looking at doing a stretch of the TD next summer just to get a taste. I think the biggest lure of the ride to me is the beauty. Then it's the challenge. I would definitely be out of my comfort zone. For a short stretch, I could probably use the Diverge I rode on the TABR. Although tire width would probably be limited to 42mm if I allow for muddy conditions. Probably a little narrow. But using what I have and amending the kit for camping and other considerations that differ from the TABR just to give me a hint of what it might be like. I'm open to any suggestions.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

So good to hear from you Doug! Your Pulmonary embolism issues sounds scary. I'll be hoping you soon get that all resolved. That's quite impressive that you have been able to ride 3000 miles in spite of your health problems! I'm only at 2500 miles and I doubt that the weather is going to let me ride many more this year. :( I have been able to run over 1000 miles though and am hoping that will make up for my lack of cycling. So far I've been blessed with good health, and since I live alone in the country and only make it to town every 2 weeks or so I'm in a great position to avoid a pandemic. I have big hopes that BRAN will happen next year and that I see you there.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

What section of the Great Divide Route are thinking about doing Bill? When I raced the Tour Divide I did it with drop bars and no suspension so I would think your bike would be fine. I used 2.1 inch WTB Nano tires, tubeless. The only place I really had any issues was in New Mexico where I washed out a few times in deep sand. 42s (1 5/8") should be just fine in dry conditions, but if it's muddy you will probably have issue regardless of your tire choice. Those areas soon become walk a bike sections regardless of how wide your tires are. I would guess that about 90% of the route is on gravel Forest Services roads. My tandem partner on the Trans Am, Rick Sanders toured the Great Divide Route a few years ago and could also give you his thoughts.

gif4445

Post by gif4445 »

John, the closest section to home would be what I would try. I've got the ACA map of the Rawlins WY to Salida CO section. Probably as good of location as any to get a taste. A few years back, I met a guy at Boreas Pass who was doing the TD and posting on CGOAB. I believe he started in Northern/Central WY. He was using some not so big tires and no suspension. I don't think he had the grandest of times, as he bailed on the ride later. Not sure if the bike was part of the problem, but if memory serves me, I think he just got bored and rode off route to see some friends in Western CO.

I thought about using my old Surly LHT. I cannot remember and should check, but it may allow wider tires. But I'm sure the fit would fall short. I did a whole lot of modifying on the Diverge. The last time I was on my LHT, it felt pretty foreign.