Planning for 40

Missouri John

Re: Planning for 40

Post by Missouri John »

This site is always very quiet this time of year. I have not heard of any changes for this years BRAN other than it is now being referred to as BRAN 40.2.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

So happy to see that registration for BRAN 40.2 is now open! :D

thotle

Post by thotle »

Yup, just registered, 3rd year in a row registering for my first BRAN. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm!

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

I am also registered and am very confident that things will work out this year. I think you'll find that BRAN which is a much smaller ride than RAGBRAI will be just as much fun in many different ways and can even become a more preferable ride. We are already 6 days into the new year so I'm sure you have already racked up many miles on your trainer. :wink:

thotle

Post by thotle »

Hi Missouri John, I hope your January is going well.

Yes, I'm already grinding away indoors, 110 miles in the first 7 days of '22, 24 outside and 86 indoors. It's been pretty cold here in Wisconsin and I ride outside if it's above 15 F. And I'm sticking with the idea of setting an annual mileage goal, 100 miles per year of age. I ended '21 at 6333 miles, of which 1075 was indoors.

I'm planning on BRAN, RAGBRAI, and North Carolina's Mountains to Coast for weeklong rides in '22. I'm definitely looking forward to BRAN's smaller size as I found the smaller size refreshing on OK Freewheel last year.

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

It appears that not being able to ride BRAN last year has not affected your cycling mileage much. 6,333 miles is an awesume total! My cycling mileage for the last year was only 826, but all on roads. I did run 1205 miles last year also all on the roads and trails. We are all different and I seem to get a better fitness benefits from running than I do from cycling and running also seems to keep me cycling fit. I will certainly hit the roads on my bike in the Spring to ensure that my rear and my saddle have become good friends. :wink: If every thing works out as planned I should have substantially more cycling mileage this year.

thotle

Post by thotle »

I see we're starting in Alliance now, and the ride is 12-15 miles shorter. Email said "circumstances beyond their control". Anybody have insight as to what changed? Doesn't really matter I guess, and I'll still get to visit carhenge!

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

It was really cool to see an ad for BRAN in this months Bicycling magazine.

I don't know if anyone else has given this any thought, but I've decided to dedicate my BRAN 40.2 ride to the memory of Frank. Frank was very active in both running and cycling and a long time rider and supporter of BRAN. Frank was even the administrator of this forum for several years and we can also give credit to BRAN 40s theme "Best by Bicycle" to Frank.