Planning for 40

gif4445

Re: Planning for 40

Post by gif4445 »

Last Sunday we had a good warm-up, so I got in my first outside ride since early November. Felt really good to be outside. Back is finally getting in good shape after a few months of struggle, but neck problems persist. Hopefully get it all sorted out before the next episode of good weather. Until then, spinning and home trainer will suffice. Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas!

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

A very happy and healthy 2020 to all my BRAN friends! May 2020 bring you many miles of enjoyable cycling with few flats and lots of tailwinds.

thotle

Post by thotle »

I'm not finding it on the BRAN website, does anyone have the "feet of climb" data for BRAN40? I've done RAGBRAI several times and plan to again this year in addition to BRAN, and RAGBRAI days tend to be 1000-4000 ft of climb. I honestly don't know the Nebraska terrain very well, but have the impression that if anything Nebraska is not as hilly as Iowa. Could someone enlighten me? I think I read a recommendation on the BRAN website to ride at least 300 miles prior, which isn't much (I've typically tried to do 1000 before RAGBRAI). Any advice from those with BRAN experience?

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

As soon as the route is finalized, that is approved by the State taking into account any road closings or detours our route guy, Marty Shukert will have the elevation for each day published on the BRAN website and will be included in the rider guide. I have ridden 30 BRANS and always liked to have 1000 miles. If I remember there are many rolling hills and several challenging ones including Democrat hill followed that day by several more fun ones. Except for Interstate 80 Nebraska is not flat. Hills have always been the least of my worries, it is the wind. Have never been on Ragbria so can't compare but you will be challenged and have a great time. Look me up, just ask for Frank a lot of people know me. As Roy and Dale would say "HappyTrails to You".

thotle

Post by thotle »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, and advice. I'm already looking forward to it! The wind always blows from the west, right? :lol:

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Having rode RAGBRAI and BRAN several times I would have to say the terrain is quite simpler. The northern Iowa routes may actual be flatter and the southern ones are probably a bit hillier. I really don't think the hills on either ride are a big issue but like Frank said the wind certainly can be. thotle are you planning to do Iowa's Ride as well as RAGBRAI?

thotle

Post by thotle »

Hi, Missouri John, thanks for the RAGBRAI/BRAN perspective. I won't have enough vacation time to do 3 week long rides, since I've got a family vacation planned too. My priority right now for rides is 1) RAGBRAI, 2) BRAN, 3) Iowa's Ride. I might do a day or two of IR. I actually started looking into BRAN when the RAGBRAI and IR debate started. Some other state's ride could move in to #3 once I retire in a couple years and have more time. Anybody done BAK?

Missouri John

Post by Missouri John »

Yes, I've rode BAK as well and it is an excellent ride! It's also the second oldest state ride it started in 1975 verses RAGBRAI's 1973. It is an 8 day ride and always goes border to border. The sad thing is that three adjoining states Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri schedule their rides so you can only do one of them. :( They are all three great rides but when I'm able to ride only one of them I go with Nebraska.

thotle

Post by thotle »

So, could someone tell me about democrat hill? A google search yields political references but no hill by that name in Nebraska? What's the total climb, and % grade?

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

While riding in Nebraska you will find many hills with local names. Democrat hill, Arnold, Seven Sisters , and on and on. All have a long tradition . We are having a BRAN committee tonight and will try to find out about your questions and if I do will post tomorrow. Part of the charm of this ride is being exposed to local lore.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

Our webmaster said he would start working on route profiles and would post them soon. He will also do some research regards Democrat hill and try to determine elevation gain and gradient. We discussed the many many hills with names in Nebraska. Had to stop because it was taking up too much time. Almost every member had two or three that they remember climbing. My favorite memory of climbing a tough hill was complaining to my son when a young super strong rider came up on us and then put his hand on my back and pushed me up the rest of the hill. Boy did I go up that hill fast.

thotle

Post by thotle »

Thanks for the update, I'll look forward to those updates on the route profile. It appears I'm now making more work for you and the committee, which is not my intention, so I'll stop with the questions. I appreciate all you and the planning committee does to create and support this ride. I'm an 8 hour drive away so can't participate directly but if there's anything I can do to help, from a distance, let me know.

branadmin2

Post by branadmin2 »

Keep up with the questions, they stimulate the riders . One thing you could do would to be bring some friends with you for the ride.

Granny

Post by Granny »

Granny is back! When I started posting here I was old but now I'm really old. I still ride some but no longer on BRAN. Nanu and I are on the BRAN planning committee and do enjoy staying within the loop. Two years ago I made the good decision of having both knees replaced which has made it possible for me to continue to ride.

Just this morning we were talking about our first experiences on Democrat Hill. At the time of mine, Nanu who had been a runner for years, was tripped by a wire running on a sidewalk and injured his shoulder. Being unable to ride he then volunteered to sag so I would not miss out on BRAN. At his request I had 500 riders and staff looking out for me. The stories or perhaps folk-lore that preceeded the ride up the notorious Democrat hill were plentiful which was an incentive to train as much as possible. When the time came, on a little red mixy Schwin bike, Granny slowly pedaled up Demoract Hill making it to the top where Nanu was waiting like a proud parent.

I guess the moral of this story would be, "If Granny, never having been an athlete, can make it up Democrat hill at age 50 don't worry about it!" It will be Fun, Challenging and provide you with one of many good BRAN stories to tell or reminisce about when you are Nanu's and my age.

thotle

Post by thotle »

I'm excited to compare Democrat hill (and others) to Potter Hill, from RAGBRAI lore.....

http://mcchoppin.com/general/ragbrais-potter-hill/